The heat has gone out of the air, and it’s time to take care of your home before cooler temps hit. If you aren’t so sure about what you should be doing when it comes to fall home maintenance, follow this list.
- Clean out your gutters – It’s easy for gutters to get clogged in the Sacramento area because they are dry all summer. Debris falls into them and stays where it lands. Cleaning them out before we start getting heavy rain will save you a headache down the road.
- Secure loose siding and roof tiles – While you are cleaning out your gutters, take a look around for loose roof tiles, siding, or shutters. Make sure everything is secure, so when the wind picks up in the winter, you aren’t chasing parts of your home all over the neighborhood.
- Look for holes – As the weather gets colder, those furry little pests that live outside are going to start trying to come in. Look for gaps around your roof, in your garage, and around doors and windows where rodents could enter.
- Check weather-stripping for signs of wear. The sun breaks down rubber weather stripping that keeps warm air inside your home. Replacing it is an easy fix that can save you a lot of money on your heating bill.
- Clean up the Yard and Care for Trees – Rake up leaves and cut dead limbs and branches out of your branches and trees. If you notice signs of infestation or illness, now is a great time to call an arborist and get that taken care of. This is also a great time to put away patio furniture or other outdoor items that won’t be used for the winter.
- Hire a Chimney Sweep – If you use your fireplace in the wintertime, you’ll want to make sure that build up from last year is not creating a fire hazard before you start using it again. A chimney sweep will take care of that for you.
- Check Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors – We often get so busy in our day to day lives that we forget to check on the emergency detectors in our homes. When you pair these chores with your seasonal maintenance, you make sure they get done at least twice a year.
If you feel unsafe doing any of these tasks yourself, please hire a professional to help you. The last thing we want is for you to get hurt taking care of your home.