Are you closing down your office during this year’s holiday season? If you are, you are not alone. Hopefully, you already have your employees’ schedules figured out. Now it’s time to make sure your clients understand what to expect during your office closure.
Communication is key. Most clients and customers won’t mind that you are closed during a holiday, but if they are expecting a deliverable, or you don’t tell them you will be out, problems can arise.
How to Communicate an Office Closure:
- Notify Current Clients and Customers – Send out an email with your office hours during the holidays. This way, your clients can plan and schedule shopping days or meetings with you beforehand.
- Post Holiday Hours in your Office or Storefront - How many times have you completely forgotten about an email or missed it in your inbox altogether? Probably more than once. Posting your holiday office hours where people will see them when they visit you serves as a good reminder even if they did read the email.
- Post on your Social Media Pages – People can see a piece of information up to 5 times before they realize it’s repetitive. Don’t be shy about communicating office closures, post on your social media accounts two weeks beforehand, and again when you leave the office for the last time.
- Update your Google Business Listing – If you don’t have a Google business listing, you need to fix that right away. Whoever manages the listing should get an email prompting them to update your hours before every major holiday. Remind them to take care of that, so when people search for your business, they see arcuate times displayed.
- Change Your Voicemail Recording - Your voicemail recording states that you will get back to callers as soon as you can. When your office is closed, this is not the case. Update your voicemail recording so that if someone calls in while you are closed, they are informed that you are out, and when you will return.
- Set Email Auto Responders – The last thing you want to do is leave someone waiting for a response. An email autoresponder solves this problem. As soon as you get an email, your server sends out a message stating your office is closed and that you will reply when you return on a specific date. This lets people know they shouldn’t expect a response while you are out.
- Deliver work early – Your business’s holiday vacation should not interfere with your deliverables. If you or an employee promise to deliver a product or service before you go out on holiday, make sure it happens. Your customer likely wants to celebrate the same holiday and is relying on you to help them relax during it.
It’s essential to take time to rest and relax during the holidays. Making sure your office closure goes smoothly helps you relax and enjoy a break.